Give a gift to the library in honor or in memory of a loved one. Complete this Adopt a Book Form and send it to the library with your check payable to the El Dorado County Library.
For more information check out the Friends of the Library webpage.
You may purchase gently used books at sales that are held at the:
- Main Library in Placerville, generally the 1st Saturday of each month from 9am to 3pm. Patrons who wish to donate books may want to drive to the back of the library on Wednesdays between 10am and 12pm. The Book Sale Volunteers work in the garage during that time and they can help you unload your vehicle.
- Cameron Park Library the second Saturday of each month from 9:00 am to 12 noon
- El Dorado Hills Library: Call the library at (916) 358-3500 for times and dates
- Georgetown Library: Call the library at (530) 333-4724 for times and dates
Honor tables with books for sale are in the lobbies of each library. If you would like to know what types of books are best to donate for the book sales, please read our Donation Guidelines.
You may purchase gently used books at sales that are held at the: There are over 1,500 books currently listed on the Friends of the Library shop on Amazon. Books may be purchased directly from the Friends of the Library without paying shipping charges by submitting detailed information about the desired books to: The Friends of the Library
Please make checks payable to the Friends of the Library. Pick up your selection at the main library, 345 Fair Lane, Placerville, California 95667
THERE IS NO GUARANTEE AGAINST PRIOR SALE
The Corporate Board of the Friends of the Library hold meetings, to which the public is invited, on the third Monday of each month at 1:00 pm at varying library branches. The Placerville Friends meet at 1pm in the library six times a year starting in January. Check the library calendar for the dates. Call the library (530) 621-5540 to confirm date, time and location. A general membership meeting is held in January of each year. Call your branch library for information about its chapter's meetings. The membership is informed of meetings and other activities by the Between Friends Newsletter, published twice a year.
We welcome donations of gently used books, audio cassettes, CDs, videocassettes and DVDs. Please check our Donation Guidelines before bringing donations to the library.
Life of a Donated Book
- Library staff sorts through donations and selects items for the library shelves. In 2014 over 7,000 donated items were added to the library collection system wide!
- Items not needed by the library are sent to the Friends who sell the newest and best of the donations at their Honor Book Sale in the library lobby. Some valuable or interesting books are sold by the Friends online.
- The remaining donations are sold by the Friends at their monthly book sales.
- Proceeds from all Friends' book sales are donated to the library to purchase new books for the library shelves. Thank you for your books!
You have the opportunity to ensure the future of the El Dorado County Library. Your generous gift will enable the library to enrich lives by fostering a lifelong love of reading, discovery and learning.
With your help, we can establish or enhance:
- Branch Libraries
- Bookmobile Service
- Literacy Programs
- Children's Books and Programs
- Technological Innovations
The Friends of the Library and the Endowment Fund welcome gifts in any amount. All gifts to the fund are used to build principle with only a portion of the interest used to fund Library projects. Thus, a gift to the Endowment Fund will continue to serve El Dorado County Libraries for many years in the future.
Call the Friends of the Library in Placerville at (530) 621-5540 or South Lake Tahoe at (530) 573-3185 for more information or assistance with planned giving.
The Fall/Winter/Spring 2017-18 Newsletter is here. PDF version of Between Friends.
Volunteers are a valued addition to the library's professional staff. They shelve, mend, process new books, raise funds and support our libraries.
Are you interested in joining our fantastic pool of volunteers? Here’s what you need to know!